top of page

Border Country Sports Blog-October 17th

Good Morning! With the Border Country Sports Blog, I'm Keith Harington.

Lake George Wins ADK Girls Soccer Crown

Regulation time wasn't enough. Neither were four overtime sessions. The Adirondack League championship game in girls soccer needed to be settled with penalty kicks. Lake George and Bolton-Warrensburg played to a 2-2 deadlock, but the Warriors used a 3-2 advantage in PKs to claim the title.

Alivia Dean's save of a Bolton-Warrensburg shot in the fifth round of penatly kicks proved to be the difference. Lake George also needed PKs to win their semifinal match over Fort Ann.

The Warriors were persistent. They twice rallied from one-goal deficits and trailed 2-1 at one point in the PK round. Lake George had their 58 game league winning streak stopped by Fort Ann earlier in the season, but still found away to wear the ADK crown once again.

B-W struck first as Gabs Mowery raced into the box with the ball, pulled it back to elude a defender, and fired a high well-placed shot into the upper left hand corner a the 26:20 mark of the first half. Ella Moskov earned the assist.

Lila Frasier scored an unassisted goal five minutes later to bring Lake George even 1-1 at the half.

Mowery gave B-W the lead back in the second half with a goal with just over 27 minutes remaining.

It looked as if that advantage for the Eagles just may hold up. Then Lake George equalized late in the contest. 8th grader Mykah Collier-Fisher collected a ball off the fingertips of B-W goalie Hope Sherman that had been crossed in by Tiffany Cornelius to tie the contest at 2-2.

Both goalies were up to the challenge of the pressure-packed game, making multiple clutch saves throughout the rain-soaked afternoon.

Dean had seven saves for the Warriors. Sherman saved eight shots for B-W.

Lake George heads into sectional play with a mark of 9-5-2. Bolton-Warrensburg falls to 11-1-3.


Cambridge-Salem Pulls Away to Defeat Horde

I am sure most of you are familiar with the song "A Horse With No Name," by America. Well, the Cambridge-Salem football team is currently a team with no name. Saturday they could be called winners. Cambridge-Salem rallied from a first quarter deficit pull away from Granville for a 34-18 win in Section II Class C action.

Despite a 10-day Covid pause, their first three games being canceled, a slew of injuries and a pair of lopsided losses to open the season, the Golden Horde still hoped to salvage their season with a big win over one of the area's most storied porgrams, but it wasn't meant to be.

Still riding the momentum of a 50-0 win over Cohoes, Granville came out ready to play. The Golden Horde took an early 6-0 lead on a 46 yard touchdown run down the left sideline from Matthew Barlow. The conversion run was stopped.

Cambridge-Salem came back to tie the game later in the quarter Clifford Lewis 10-yard run to make it 6-6. The PAT kick gave Cambridge-Salem a 7-6 lead.

Granville came back to grab the lead on a three yard run by Tim Pratt to make it 12-7. Again, the conversion run failed.

Cambridge-Salem took control with a pair of second quarter scores by Alex Luke. Luke scored on a 10-yard run to give his team a 14-10 lead after the PAT. Luke then caught a 20-yard scoring pass from Brice Burr to extend the Golden Horde deficit to 20-12 at the half. The extra point kick was missed.

After a scoreless third, Cambridge-Salem began to pull away in the fourth quarter. Lewis tacked on his third 10-yard scoring run of the day to make it 27-12 after the extra point kick.

Granville stayed in the game on a 1-yard touchdown run from Alex Warrington to pull within 27-18. Again the Golden Horde failed to add on the conversion.

Eli Danio clinched the win for Cambridge-Salem with a late 40-yard touchdown scamper.

Barlow had a huge game for Granville to keep the Golden Horde competitive. Barlow rushed for 231 yards and on 18 carries to go along with his long touchdown run.

Lewis ran for 94 yards for Cambridge-Salem.

Cambridge-Salem is now 2-2, 4-3. Granville is 0-3, 1-3.


Fair Haven Field Hockey Does It Again

The Fair Haven field hockey team continues to attract attention as an improved program. The Slaters were coming off a win over two-time defending Division III state champion Windsor, and they were impressive again. Fair Haven won their second game in a row, edging Brattleboro 2-1 in overtime.

It was Senior Day for the Slaters and they were not to be denied.

The teams played to a 0-0 tie in the first half.

Emma Gragen gave the Colonels a 1-0 lead in the third quarter.

Time was getting late for Fair Haven to equalize, but Emilee Higgins finally was able to rattle the back of the cage to bring the Slaters even at 1-1 with just 2:26 remaining.

In the extra session Paityn DeLong found herself one on one with the Brattleboro goalie on breakway. DeLong calmly fired a into the cage to hand the Slaters the dramatic win.

Fair Haven is now 4-7-1 on the season.


New York Scoreboard

High School Boys Soccer

Argyle 0 Hadley-Luzerne 0


Vermont Scoreboard

High School Football

Oxbow 33 Poultney 22

Mill River 41 Missisquoi 16

Otter Valley 41 Woodstock 35 OT

High School Boys Soccer

Green Mountain 4 Leland & Gray 0

Otter Valley 2 Fair Haven 0

High School Girls Soccer

Rutland 6 Brattleboro 0

Proctor 10 MSJ 0

High School Field Hockey

Otter Valley 10 Springfield 0


With the Border Country Sports Blog, I'm Keith Harrington.

Photo Credit-Stacie Arnhold

Matthew Barlow finishes off a 46-yard TD run for Granville against Cambridge-Salem Saturday.

171 views0 comments


bottom of page